Brochure - Got a complaint about a Victorian government body?


Why complain?

Complaints are important.
By letting the right people know about your concerns, you could get the problem fixed.  You could also help improve services for other people in the community.

About the Victorian Ombudsman

Who is the Ombudsman?

The Ombudsman is Deborah Glass – she is an independent officer who reports directly to the Victorian Parliament.

What does the Ombudsman do?

The Ombudsman looks into complaints about the actions and decisions of Victorian:
  • State Government departments
  • statutory authorities, such as WorkCover and VicRoads and local councils.
The office provides a free, fair and independent service to people dissatisfied with the action or inaction of public bodies.

Who can complain?

Anyone can make a complaint to the Ombudsman about a matter which affects them. There is no requirement that you are a Victorian resident, an Australian citizen or over 18 years.

Things to consider before you complain

First you should try to resolve your complaint with the government body concerned. Generally the Ombudsman will not intervene in a matter until you have taken these steps.
If the matter remains unresolved after these efforts, you can make a complaint to the Ombudsman.

What the Ombudsman will look at

The Ombudsman will look at whether the actions of the government body were fair and reasonable in the circumstances, timely, lawful and in line with relevant policies and procedures.

What the Ombudsman can't do

The Ombudsman can’t look into complaints about Victoria Police, Commonwealth Government departments or private companies, such as energy or telephone companies.
The Ombudsman does not provide legal advice or legal representation.
If you are unsure whether your complaint is something the Ombudsman can look into,
please contact us to find out.

How to make a complaint

Complaints to the Ombudsman can be submitted in any of the following ways:
Mail:  Level 2 570 Bourke Street
           Melbourne VIC 3000
If you are unable to write down your complaint you can call the office for assistance on (03) 9613 6222 or from regional Victoria on 1800 806 314.
We also offer a free translation and interpreting service.
When submitting your complaint you should provide information you have about when the problem occurred and what you have done to try and resolve it.
Once we have received your complaint, we will contact you, either by phone or in writing.