Reporting improper conduct

Anyone can report improper conduct or harmful action. People who report improper conduct are protected from retaliation, under the Public Interest Disclosures Act.

Who can I report?

We can look into:

  • Most Victorian public organisations, their employees and contractors.
  • Employees of Victorian local councils and Councillors.

We refer all reports we consider to be potential ‘public interest disclosures’ to the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC).

For a confidential chat, contact us on (03) 9613 6222.

We cannot look into:

  • Certain public officers and organisations including:
    • Victoria Police
    • Judges and magistrates
    • Members of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

    You can make reports about these bodies to IBAC.

How do we do it?

We work with IBAC to investigate improper conduct.

Step 1: Tell us what happened

Contact us for a confidential chat. We will decide if it needs to go to IBAC.

Step 2: Your report will be assessed

IBAC will either investigate, dismiss or refer the report to us or another organisation. We assess reports referred back to us to decide whether we will investigate.

Step 3: You receive an outcome

We will keep you updated through the process and provide you with an outcome.

Investigation reports

Read about the issues we’ve investigated within the public sector and apply these learnings and recommendations to your own organisation.

View all investigation reports

Common questions

Fact sheet for Public Interest Disclosure Coordinators

These Coordinators play a vital role in upholding the integrity of the Victorian public service.

To support Coordinators in their important role, we have developed this Fact sheet for Public Interest Disclosure Coordinators .

You can also read the fact sheet online at: Public Interest Disclosure Coordinators.