Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy
This Plan provides a pathway for a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture that helps our people feel a strong sense of belonging and contributes to the performance and innovation of the VO’s work.
Message from the Ombudsman
The vision of the Victorian Ombudsman is to ensure fairness for Victorians in their dealings with thepublic sector and improve public administration. Our Strategic Framework sets out four key intentions:
- independent and impartial complaint resolution
- encourage fair and reasonable decision making within the public sector
Enhance Integrity and Accountability
- independently investigate serious mattersreport on misconduct and poor administration
Support Improvement and Innovation
- assist agencies learn from complaints and investigationsinvestigate systemic issues and identify solutions
Protect Human Rights
- investigate whether an action or decision is incompatible with human rightsmake it easier for vulnerable people to complain.
That vision of fairness is also a vision that supports diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our workplaceand in the broader Victorian community. To provide accessible and responsive services that are sensitiveto the circumstances of individuals and communities with specific needs, it’s important we understandand can better represent the diverse Victorian community.
To deliver on our goals, it’s also important we attract highly skilled and committed professionals from thewidest possible talent pool, and provide a modern, safe and supportive workplace for all our people.
That’s why I’m pleased to present this Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy.
While we have a number of plans to help attract and retain specific cohorts – as outlined in our GenderEquality Action Plan 2021-2025, our Innovate Reconciliation Action Plan December 2022-December2024 and our Accessibility Action Plan 2021-2024 - this strategy is an overarching framework that guidesour activity in the Ombudsman’s office and helps develop our capability to connect with diversecommunities.