In some circumstances, we take complaints about fines. Find out what those circumstances are.

Many government organisations, including your local council, can issue fines. If those fines are not paid and not withdrawn, they go to Fines Victoria to follow up.

What is our role?

We can only get involved with fines matters in some circumstances.

Your first step in disputing a fine should be to follow the steps on your Infringement Notice.

This may involve you:

  • requesting the organisation to undertake an internal review
  • nominating another person (for vehicle offences)
  • electing to go to the Magistrates’ Court.

If a court has dealt with your fine or you have paid your fine in full, we usually will not get involved.

We take complaints about most organisations involved in the fines system. This includes Councils and Fines Victoria. We may not be able to assist with complaints about fines issued by Victoria Police.

What type of complaints can we take?

We are more likely to become involved if you have already requested an internal review or enforcement review without success, and:

  • you have clear evidence that the decision to issue the fine was wrong eg you were not in Victoria at the time
  • you cannot go to court because of health or other problems
  • you have evidence the organisation made an error, for example:
    • the parking or speed limit sign was incorrect or obscured
    • relevant evidence wasn’t considered as part of the review
  • there is evidence of a reoccurring problem that might have a broader impact on the public eg faulty parking meters.

We can resolve some complaints about fines by making enquiries with the organisation. In some cases, they may withdraw a fine.

Other fine-related complaints

Sometimes people accept they committed an offence. But they are unhappy with another decision or action by an organisation.

Examples are where the organisation:

  • rejected their application for a 'payment plan' or a payment arrangement that would allow them to pay off the fine over time
  • sent an infringement notice to the wrong address, even though address details were up-to-date, and they incurred a penalty
  • is taking unlawful or unfair action to enforce an infringement.

We ask that you complain to the organisation first. If you are unhappy with their response or do not receive a response within a reasonable time, complain to us.


Looking to make a complaint?

Use our online form to create and submit your complaint