Good complaint handling
Complaints are not always one size fits all. Understand what makes a strong process and apply it to your workplace.
Using our resources, you will learn to deal with complaints through understanding:
- why you should welcome complaints, and how to do so
- what you need for a good complaint handling process
- different types of complainant behaviour
- what you can learn from complaints to fix problems and improve services.
After completing the workshop, you will:
- appreciate the value of complaints to your organisation
- use your process to strengthen relationships with people who raise concerns with you
- confidently respond to and learn from complaints
- develop techniques for managing expectations and avoiding escalations of conflict
- recognise a human rights-based complaint
- improve your service delivery and your approach to complaint handling using complaint data.
Very relevant and helpful to my current role. Several elements from the session will be immediately put into practice, especially taking more time to ask about and manage clients’ expectations after receiving their complaint.
It has changed my mindset to view complaints that come my way in a more positive light. Thank you!
The most valuable aspect was ... the importance of recording and responding to complaints in a timely way. Complaints are free feedback.
Marita’s firsthand experience dealing with complaints supports the high level of training she provides to our public sector education programs.
Before joining the Victorian Ombudsman as an Investigation Officer, Marita provided investigation and regulatory services with the Victorian Institute of Teaching and the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency.
Irene Parker is a Senior Facilitator in the Victorian Ombudsman’s Education & Prevention team. She is a Training and Programme Development Specialist with extensive experience in both Australia and Asia. Prior to joining the Victorian Ombudsman, Irene worked as a corporate trainer, with a focus on customer service and best practice. She also has established careers in advertising, marketing, and the performing arts.